Unbuilt kits

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Thu Feb 12 11:38:59 EST 1998

On 2/12/98 9:43 AM, Daniel T Ruth at heathkit at JUNO.COM wrote:

>P.S.  I'm also looking for unbuilt Heathkits  (I know, I know, me and
>10,000 other people).  But if I find one, it's gonna get built (unless I
>already have that device in service).

You know, I've always wondered about this. Where do these unbuilt kits
come from? (Obviously, they come from the factory, but that's not what I
meant)

Why would someone buy a kit, and then never bother to put it together? I
can see some of this. (My wife bought a Hero-1 kit back when she was
teaching. When I procrastinated for about 9 months over building it, she
gave it to two of her students to build. Of course, I gave them
instructions and advice, which they promply ignored. The finished unit
never did quite work right, even after I went back over all the assembly
instructions, checked off each step (for the first time!), went through
all the diagnostics, etc.)

Now, since Heath has been out of the kit business for nearly a decade, it
is amazing there still are unbuilt kits at all.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov