Chassis Cleaning Process

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Fri Jul 17 23:52:16 EDT 1998

I've used the carwash method many times, with great success - mostly on test
equipment, but on some ham gear as well. Old Tek equipment will sparkle like
new with this method. Just take out any parts that may be damaged by water,
such as meters, speakers, paper-jacketed electrolytics, etc, then take it to
a do-it-yourself carwash, and spray it out with the high pressure wand. Soap
first, trying not to force water into any controls, then rince well, drain
as much water as possible, use an air compresser, if available, to get the
worst of the remaining water out, then 'bake' in an oven at its lowest
temperature for several hours. If the equipment is too large to fit my oven,
I just sit it next to a portable heater with a fan, and allow more time.
It's very important to allow plenty of time to dry out. Even when everything
seems totaly dry, there may still be a little water in pots or transformers.
Once you're sure everything all water has evaporated, put a drop of oil on
control shafts and any mechanical assemblies that need lubrication, a little
de-ox on switch contacts, reinstall any parts you removed, and
calibrate/align. If necessary, take off the knobs and clean them separately
with dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. I've used this method on many pieces
of Tek gear, a National NCX-5, and some other older ham equipment. On older
products that have paper-jacketed electrolytic cans, I just covered them
with a piece of Saran Wrap and a rubber band. I know this method may not be
appropriate for some electronic gear, but I've been using it for years and
never been disappointed with the results. (I learned of this method from the
owner of a calibration lab where I used to work. He built his business
across the street from a car wash, and installed a large oven underneath one
of the equipment benches - just for that purpose.)

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH