CW

Jordan Arndt jordana at NUCLEUS.COM
Wed Jul 22 19:25:43 EDT 1998

Glenn R. Showalter wrote:

> Why do you say CW is on its way out?! Is A3? And what
> we don't need more of in the world is TV.  wb7qbz
>
> ---danpote <danpote at GTE.NET> wrote:
> >
> > I have to comment on Rod's note about the proposed simplified amateur
> > license structure.
> >
> > I agree with the ARRL.  The FCC has a simple philosophy on frequency
> > allocation.  Use it or lose it.
> >
> > Amateur radio is being threatened with extinction.  The Internet and
> > wireless telephones are rapidly taking the place of amateur radio.
> Ten
> > years from now, our cell phones will be as small as a wristwatch.
> We'll
> > be able to call anywhere from anywhere for 5 cents a minute.
> >
> > The future of amateur radio is television, high speed data
> transmission,
> > remote control and other similar applications.  Morse code might be
> fun
> > for some and I have no problem with those who enjoy using it, but it's
> > definitely on the way out.  Requiring people to be proficient at it
> will
> > only further thin out our numbers.
> >
> > Regards  Dan Pote
> >
> > --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
> > To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> > and in body: subscribe HEATH yourfirstname yourlastname
> > To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> > and in body: signoff HEATH
> > Archives for HEATH: http://www.tempe.gov/archives
> > --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
> >

> ==
>
> Glenn R. Showalter
> P.O. Box 481
> Ivy, VA. 22945
> (804) 296-5661 x774
> and in body: signoff HEATH
> Archives for HEATH: http://www.tempe.gov/archives
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --

I don't see any problem with our numbers being "Thinned out", take it
from a Canadian Ham where code is not a pre-requisite for licensing, if
code is eliminated then the backbone of our hobby will be eliminated...
We have problems on repeaters and problems on V/Uhf in general , and if
you were to operate on 2 meters CW/SSB up here you would notice quite
quickly the problems this has created... Try telling a guy he's
distorted and/or to turn his mike gain/processor/preamp down and you'll
get an earful from someone who doesn't even understand that you're
trying to help...
If the code requirement is eliminated ,the Technical aspect of licensing
must be seriously upgraded and the VE system VERY CLOSELY examined, as
it is right now when an Amateur is causing BCI,TVI RFI etc, who pays???
WE ALL DO... when the Bands we have are threatened by Commercial
services and the Gov't looking at all that money, they see a bunch of
interfering, problem causing Hams , who provide little in the way of
social advancement, or technical advancement. This is in disregard of
all the technological advancement that has been provided by or furthered
by Amateur Operators who are technically inclined...or the Emergency
Services provided by those dedicated Amatuers who GET INVOLVED!!!
So if you think that Amateur TV and High speed data communications is
the future of Amateur Radio , then that is YOUR opinion. If I want
high-speed , wide range data communications with video and audio , I'll
subscribe to  a cable Internet provider.
The point of all is this... when all else fails CW usually gets through
, and if CW cannot then nothing else will.

A simplified license structure proposal is more than likely due to
finacial constraints than anything else, think how many fewer
administration people would be required... and the Service as a whole
would be diminshed in all aspects... 73 de Jordan VE2SWL/VE6...

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH