ARRL

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Jul 23 06:23:40 EDT 1998

Our list manager has requested we keep our postings to the topic for
which the list was created, so I'll make this short and say no more
about it on the reflector.

Criticism of ARRL is as old as the organization itself, just as
criticism of our various local, state and federal government is.  In
both cases, no matter how we feel about the ARRL or our various
governments, they are what we have.  Both are democratic (small "d") in
nature, and therefore their actions reflect a composite ( a synthesis,
of you're a political scientist) of the opinions of those who take the
trouble to express them to the proper elected representatives, rather
than venting spleen at random to anyone who will listen.  This synthesis
is further tempered by the awareness of a particular issue and the
personal desires of the elected representatives involved (they, too, are
human), and finally at the decision-making level (Congress, in the case
of amateur radio laws) not necessarily by what we all might want, but by
what is possible, given all the divergent interests involved
(commercial, government, military, personal, amateur frequency wants,
etc.).

This is the democratic system, and it can be clearly seen that under
this system, no matter what decisions are made, it is guaranteed that
not everyone will always be pleased with them.  But--this is also the
system that has allowed this country to attain the world's highest
standard of living and maintain it in such a manner that millions of
people in less fortunate countries still yearn to come here.

In like manner, no one can reasonably deny that the ARRL has, since its
inception, been the sole organization with sufficient influence and
sufficient knowledge of the intricacies of the bureaucratic tangle that
exists in our federal government, to maintain the viability of amateur
radio throughout our hobby's history.  There is no doubt that without
ARRL, other powerful and well organized interests would long ago have
driven amateur radio out of existence.

Given the massive economic power and political influence these other
interests can bring to bear, compared to the relatively scant funding
available to ARRL, it is nothing short of remarkable that our hobby has
survived. The story of David and Goliath comes to mind.

So, instead of preaching to the choir, why not compile a reasoned
argument (without flames and incoherent venting of anger and
resentment), and send it to:

Your ARRL Directors, whose e-mail addresses are on page 10 of QST.

The FCC.

To ARRL Hq at its website:  http://www.arrl.org

or e-mail to:  restrux at arrl.org

73, Keith