not all newbees are Evil

Ray A. Allen w2kbr at TOAD.NET
Thu Jul 23 06:35:30 EDT 1998

Shelly,
 Well I for one do not see you (or anybody else in your position) as
the "Village Idiots".  In fact I welcome you to Ham Radio.  This
hobby needs new blood with new ideas to change some of the "Old Guard"
mentality.  This hobby can become infectious and you may find, someday,
the CW is really afterall your niche'.  All the talk(or writing) you
see comes from veterans and in some cases newer folks who believe that
because they had to "pass the test" then everybody has to "pass the
test".  Narrow minded, tunnel vision folks (in my opinion) who just
can't see the potential of the present and maybe the new structure.
Agreed that some of the operating procedures of some need to change
radically and while we used to "police our own" that well worn phrase
also needs updating.  There are many inter-woven reasons for the
reduced quality of the bands and the folks on them, but no one can
point a finger at the new folks as being the single cause of some of our
community problems.  These "discussions" have been going on for years,
so take heart, and continue into the hobby with all the excitement and
expections you had when you first decided to "get involved".  Let the
complainers complain, and while they're doing that, the Operators will
be operating....in CW or phone..I been at it for over 20 years....
Good Luck..and remember to have Fun.....es 73 Ray
--

Ray A. Allen, W2KBR/3

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov