What is a Heathkit??

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Fri Jul 24 00:02:17 EDT 1998

For the list:

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a reply to the original question that
addressed the general nature of th equestion. The many replies I read focussed
on very specific aspects of Heathkit building that required, in my opinion, an
understanding of what a Heathkit was.

So, at the risk of redundancy...

Heath Co. was a manufacturer of customer-assembled products. They provided
organized boxes of parts, and the instructions and other documentation needed
for someone to assemble it themselves. The product line started with a kit
airplane, but unfortunately ended prematurely with the death of the boss in a
kit airplane. Years later, the availability of war surplus electronics equipment
and components revived Heath with various electronic products, like audio
equipment, instrumentation/test equipment, ham radio equipment,etc. It ranged as
wide as automotive diagnostic gear and log splitters. Oh yeah, there was the
mini-bike (motorized) with the winter ski-attachment for the front wheel. That
was what got me hooked on Heathkits, at least looking at the picture of it. My
parents said "No way, you could get killed on that thing". In hindsight, I'm
past my reskless days of riding on the back of a larger motorcycle at 130 MPH in
early March, and I often remember considering that ski-fronted mini-bike a
death-trap. Maybe if I got that I never would have made it to the amateur radio
equipment!

Murray

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov