Copyrights, et al.

Ed Mosher wa8zvo at JUNO.COM
Fri Jul 24 21:14:25 EDT 1998

Fellow Green Box Lovers;

First, as a former manual writer (among many other jobs at Heath), I can
attest that ALL Heath manuals were copyrighted.  I used to see and in
some cases sign the applications.  So those issued to Heath were/are
legitimate!

We should all remember that, among all else, Heath is fully responsible
for the BEST equipment manuals ever written!  And as such, WE as
law-abiding citizens are expected to honor and respect the fact that
Heath has copyrighted materials.  In some ways it doesn't matter what the
current status of the copyright of a given manual is, it morally STILL
BELONGS TO HEATH.  Companies that deliberately violate the intent and/or
law itself should be held accountable.  In cases were the company no
longer exists, such as Hallicrafters, Hammerlund, etc, I can see making
copies available.  But Heath is still alive, and that should be enough to
inspire respect for their efforts.  Others who make copies without
permission are at the very least trying to make the fast buck at someone
else's expense.  I'd question ever purchasing anything from them, but
then I have more respect than some.

As to the expenses of the current manual copies, here's the way it is in
the real world. Heath used to mass-print manuals, when a product was
still being produced.  But since they no longer make them, they no longer
print manuals.  So when someone needs a copy, that's all that Heath can
make.  Which means that someone has to take time from another job, make
the copy and mail it.  One manual at at time.  Ever count pages in the
HW-101 manual?  Also, Heath is not the mega-corp it used to be, so things
are a might tight!  So, the requestor of a copy will likely end up paying
for the time and materials to make that copy.  Hence, the higher prices.

 It's a fact of life that ALL U.S. Hams must accept, at least in part.
After all, hams  are the ones who opted to become appliance operators,
buying the new, CHEAP off-shore products (glad to say I'm NOT one of them
yet).  I admit that cost is an important factor, and that's why Heath
isn't as large and prosperous as it once was.  We Americans would rather
purchase by price, rather than quality or fringe benefits, such as a
thorough, well done assembly, troubleshooting, fix-it-yourself guide like
the traditional Heath manual.  Ever really look at a Kenwood manual?  Any
voltage measurements there?

What this all boils down to is respect for property, be it Heath,
Collins, or whoevers.  I can see Heath making certain concessions,
especially now that it's been broken up again.  But it must be done
properly, not behind the backs of people who have to make a living.  In
case you didn't know,  the company name "Heath" now belongs to some
organization operating in Kentucky (no, I'm NOT slamming KY!).  The
original company (i.e., the ORIGINAL Heath) is now forced to call itself
"Heathkit Company, Inc."

Sorry I'm getting carried away, but as a FORMER employee, I still believe
in what Heath contributed to Ham Radio and the rest of electronic
hobbyists for over 50 years! I think they deserve the same respect any
other active company does.

Now if we could just show them that there really is a market for HEATHKIT
ham accessories, maybe......

And that's my .05 worth.

Ed Mosher,  WA8ZVO at JUNO.COM

Pround to be formerly  "ONE OF THE HAMS AT HEATH"

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH