Techniques for Repairing meters

George Maier gmaier at ULTRANET.COM
Fri Jul 24 21:17:38 EDT 1998

Mike:

Can't say why, but I've had a high success rate in fixing meters, and
I'm willing to share the few empirical tidbits I've gained along the
way.

First, get yourself a jewelers eye loop. You know, a monicle that
magnifies.

Once you have one, carefully examine the bearing of any meter that is
problematic. What I have usually found is dust, dirt, corrosion,
microfine hairs, etc, that are causing the pointer to bind, or limiting
its travel.  In a moving coil (D'Arsonval) movement, I've often found
metallic fragments inside the magnet.  In magnetic(vane) meters, usually
dirt, or microfine flakes from the inner case.  If you are very careful,
you can use a vacuum cleaner crevass tool to pull these fragments out.
It is imperative that you manually hold the pointer while you clean.

The key is a thorough visual inspection before setting your course of
action.  Recently I bought a Collins 302C-3 power meter only to find it
the pointer had become detatched from the moving coil.  A little super
glue did the trick, but it was a getting up close and personal that
revealed the problems.  Sometimes a tenth of a drop of super light oil
on the bearings helps (how you get to a tenth is a not easy [grin])

Not sure I've helped, but suffice it to say that meters require a
delicate touch, a lot of patiemce, and some up front study before making
a move.

Good luck..

George - K1GXT

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov