OK, DUST OFF YOUR KEYBOARDS, HERE COME THE QUESTIONS

GREGORY HEATH KB2QQM at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sun Jul 26 14:28:06 EDT 1998

OK, more questions......

With wirewound resistors, with figuring wattage rating,,,(if you have no
parts list), Is it basically the same as caps...in that as long as you have
the minimum value, can you go higher with the wattage like the voltage
rating with capacitors?

On old axial caps..I have noticed a banded end...what end is that + or -?

In all the old rigs, I see that "chrome-looking" wire darting all over the
inside of the chassis, especially from the switches to the crystal holders,
and tubes.  What kind of wire is that and where can I get it,,,,or why did
they not just use solid copper wire?

where does anybody find the hard to find caps like    .002Mfd  @ 400V?  I
have checked Mouser, and Tech America, any other ideas.  I have tried coming
close but nothing close.
anyone have any ideas.

On the outside of the chassis, on top, below the cover of the DX60, the
chassis is all sort of
speckled rust color, how do you clean that up to be normal aluminum, without
sand blasting?
I have tried scrubbing, but no luck.

where can I find out how to decipher the mica caps with the color buttons,
to normal modern day values?

On the DX60, where the power cord comes into the chassis, there is a little
box on mounted on the side, and the pwr cord plugs into two cans, at
600volts, are these non-polarized caps?
what are they for?  are they a filter?  they are made by sprague, and are
marked .01-600v
@20 amps, and lead to the pwr supply transformer.   I have never seen caps
like this, in that they are metal....

Has anyone ever put two 6146's together inside a DX-60 final-cabinet.  I
have a dx-60 with two tube sockets, they both are equipped with disc caps,
but only the one near the chassis wall has the hookups.  If someone did
modify it for more pwr,  would not the filter section have to be modified?
I knew the wiring diagraphm had something missing, but it  was just staring
me in the face.  looks like lots of work to do, yet.

....I would read on my own...but it is much more fun picking everyone's
brain.  I remember more through the experience of exchanging thoughts than
taking notes.
Greg

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov