vtvm question??

Alan Dean Martin admartin at PACBELL.NET
Tue Mar 3 22:40:28 EST 1998

At dc, from the VTVM side of the circuit, the RC filter (composed of the 1 Meg
resistor and cable capacitance) doesn't really do anything other than give the
extra megohm of input resistance and the lower sensitivity. This lower sensitivity
is offset during the dc calibration step.

At high frequencies, from the VTVM side of the circuit, the low pass
characteristic has no notable effect.

However, to the circuit under test, the 1 megohm resistor "isolates" the circuit
under test from the cable capacitance. This substantially reduces the effect of
taking the measurement at a high impedance node such as the grid of the tube, gate
of a FET,  an op amp input or feedback point. Connecting the cable capacitance
directly to a high impedance node might cause the stage to malfunction. Such a
malfunction may or may not cause a change in the dc reading. But if the stage is
no longer functioning correctly then the reading isn't representative of the
circuit condition. A further, more subtle benefit is that it's less prone to
conduct hum from the probe cable and test prod into the measurement point.

The 1 meg ohm helps; and it needs to be at the probe end of the cable.

For ac readings, things are different. If the low pass remained, the meter reading
would get lower as the signal went up in frequency. Thus, the 1 meg gets switched
out for AC. The input impedance drops to 10 meg. because they used the same
resistor string on the range switch. BUT the circuit under test has to tolerate
the cable capacitance.

One the the best tube type VTVMs was the HP unit with the FAT AC probe handle.
These had the AC detector diode tube mounted out in the probe. (Built-in hand
warmer). Essentially no cable capacitance on AC with this scheme. As I recall
these had measurement bandwidth out past 100 MHz.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH