Heathkit Question

Bob Dianetti BobD1998 at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 11 06:04:39 EST 1998

Well, based on comments I've read here lately, and some of my own preferences,
here is what I'd like to see in any "Son of Heathkit" series:

1.  Heathkit Green.  Yes, the rigs would have to be green.  Not that awful
brownish color.  Or worse yet, rice-burner off-black.  Yep, green is should
be.  Then it would match all the neat Heathkit nostalia web-sites out there.

2.  Nut Driver.  The kit would need to have a nutdriver.  It makes no
difference whether there are actually any nuts that size in the kit that would
need to be driven.  Just throw it in there.  And - don't forget that slim
metal blade to insert in one end so that it could be used as an alignment
tool.  (Again it makes no difference whether anything actually NEEDS to be
aligned, just throw in the blade.)

3.  Size.  Size DOES matter in a Heathkit.  Lets make it DX-100 size.  Even it
its a QRP rig.  Better yet, make it a transmitter/receiver pair.  More size.
And, don't forget to make the "crystal pack" optional.  This would, of course
allow the transmitter to be used independantly from the receiver.  (Did anyone
ever really do this?)

4.  WARC-bands optional.  On all decent Heathkits of early WARC vintage, this
was the norm.  And not a bad one for the company.  Remember, always
"accessorize!"

5.  No Digital!  All "real" Heathkits were non-digital.  Why spoil that now.
Besides, this gives the rigs that coveted "retro" look.

6.  Heathkit Logo.  Make it big.  Make it chrome.  And place it in a prominent
position in the middle of the front panel.  This'll give us all that warm
fuzzy Heathkit feeling.  (Don't forget a filament-orange lightbulb in the
interior of the rig for the same reason.)

Well, here are some of my thoughts.  I hope you all know they were firmly
tongue-in-cheek and not meant to offend, hi hi!

Well, I think I'm going to go downstairs now and operate my non-digital, no-
DSP HR-1680/HX-1681 pair on 40 CW now.  See you there!

73s!!!

Bob WB2JGH

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov