Catalogs Gone!! SB-650 Next

Daniel T Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Sun Nov 29 21:06:48 EST 1998

By now, I thought the desireability of Heath catalogs would have subsided
a bit;  NOT!!

The whole lot sold immediately and could have been sold over and over
again and again.  (Did I price them too cheaply??)

As for the SB-650 I have.  It was mine for the better part of 15 years.
It served me, let's say, "so-so" well.  Yes, it works, but it took annual
"check-ups" to keep it that way.  Those damn IC sockets in these things
drove me batty.  (From reading other posts on these units, I believe I'm
not alone in my sentiments.)   I found myself using the real thin
telephone "punch-down" wire to make many point-to-point contacts
underneath the board.  Then, I augmented that approach and started
putting the wires directly into the IC sockets (along with the leg of the
IC) on the topside of the board to insure contact.  I don't say it's
pretty, but it worked for me!
So, in summation:
Q. Does the unit function as expected and have a manual??
A. YES
Q. Will the unit work when YOU take it out of the box and use it for the
first time after being jostled around in shipping?
A. PROBABLY NOT (until you reseat the ICs properly).  Then again, it just
might perform the first time.
Q. Am I trying to be honest about this unit's condition?
A. You be the judge.
Q. How much do I want for this thing?
A. That's a tough one. How about $45.00 shipped?

Danny  W3ZF  heathkit at juno.com

P.S.  If this SB-650 doesn't sell, it'll be one heck of a complete "parts
unit" for my other SB-650.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH