[HeathKit] Apache Question

John Dolan jdolan at EROLS.COM
Sun Oct 4 02:43:17 EDT 1998

> Did it every come with a final amp fan?  Mine has three holes in
> the final compartment cover, of the exact same size and pattern as

The Apache that I built came with a fan, but you do *not* want an
original fan!  After a few months of use (even if you oiled it) the
bearings would wear enough for the fan to rattle so bad, that it sounded
like a loose tail pipe on a washboard road at 40 miles per hour.  You
could hear one clearly on the air, if you used a good quality mike.  It
was so notorious that folks would say,  "Well OM, we can hear that you
are running an Apache but what is the rest of your rig up there?"

I'll bet someone tossed the old fan.  It was not a ducted or box fan
design and any good quality (4-5") replacement fan would be fine.

--

Regards,
John Dolan
jdolan at erols.com