Ebay Furor - Watch out for the Sharks

John Burch occupant at SYIX.COM
Tue Oct 27 16:01:00 EST 1998

Guy:

Any particular reason that you're whimpering
on the HEATH list server?

Thanks and best wishes
John
..

----------
> From: Guy G. Giacopuzzi DDS <ggg3dds at JS-NET.COM>
> To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
> Subject: Re: Ebay Furor - Watch out for the Sharks
> Date: Tuesday, October 27, 1998 6:30 AM
>
> Will wrote:
> >
> > >Subject: Ebay Furor - Watch out for the Sharks
> >
> > >Further compounded by the
> > >fact that several people wanted the same items.  Many
price ranges were
> > >simply outrageously low.  Obviously there are folks on
this reflector
> > >who are trying to squeeze the blood out of a turnip
when it comes to
> > >buying Collins equipment or thought that here was a
real opportunity to
> > >perhaps pick up a load of great stuff at low prices
from a guy who
> > >freely admits that he is rusty on Collins prices!
Those who did not
> > >low-ball the prices know who you are but as a case in
point, I had a
> > >weighted average of about
> > >$ 600 on the loaded KWM-2A that was posted.  It
doesn't take a rocket
> > >scientist to figure out that this particular unit may
be worth twice
> > >what was offered as a fair price!    Another item was
a CCA VG-EXC
> > >312B-5 who some were trying to buy at $ 200 to $ 250!
Now it has been
> > >stated that perhaps I abused the good will of those
who responded with
> > >price ranges, but what was this knowledge worth, when
you consider that
> > >even though my Collins price gauge was out of date, it
was an insult to
> > >my intelligence when a couple of respondents said that
a 312B5 was only
> > >worth $ 200-250?  Of course, many of the respondents
made low ball
> > >offers so we made the decision to let the market set
the price and there
> > >is no fairer way to do this than in an auction.
> >
> > Funny, this doesn't surprise me....I had a similar
experience, though not on
> > this reflector. I was planning on selling some of my
Collins gear and was
> > making inquiries as to what it might fairly bring.  I
got a couple of honest
> > answers and several more that were very obviously self
serving low-balls.  I
> > was given a figure of $250 for a cherry 312B5 and even
worse $700 for a very
> > nice 62S1 and $1500 for a KWS1 and two(2) 75A4s(one
with a 4 to 1 vernier).
> > Needless to say the individual that gave me those
numbers won't know if I
> > sell the gear until after the fact.
> > I don't think "sharks" fairly describes it.
> >
> > As a result of that experience and this string of
posts, if I do go through
> > with the decision to sell some of my gear, I will
probably offer it for sale
> > at a "firm price" here and then anything that isn't
sold, I will put on
> > Ebay.
> >
> > I think it would be a shame for everyone if banning
Ebay announcement posts
> > is done on this reflector just because of the bruised
egos of a few that saw
> > a chance to get some gear at bargain basement prices.
> >
> > I don't search Ebay all that often, and  I have seen
how nice it is to have
> > what is available on Ebay distributed.  I belong to a
national car
> > collectors group who have a reflector similar to this
one(actually they have
> > two--one for technical and a separate one for social,
for sale, wanted,
> > etc.) and it is very nice to receive an email heads up
on what is being
> > offered for sale in other forums including Ebay.
> >
> > Just my own opinion.
> >
> > Will Eral
> >
> > KC5GF
> >
> > --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
> > To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> > and in body: subscribe COLLINS yourfirstname
yourlastname
> > To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
> > and in body: signoff COLLINS
> > Archives for COLLINS: http://www.tempe.gov/archives
> > --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
--The "furor" is because no one likes the "highest price at
any cost"
> concept that's so popular on ebay.  Let's face it, some
things have
> gotten way out of line on ebay...I have an average KWM2A
with a PM2 and
> CC1 case I picked up just a few years ago for about $250.
 Certainly,
> some items fetch higher prices, but some sellers appear
to be sharks
> too.  I generally feel ebay is for folks who are not
collectors that are
> simply trying to unload the rigs, but it's not for us.
If you want to
> sell something, pick a price, advertise for it; if you
get it great, if
> not, you know you're too high.  My philosophy is you have
a right to a
> profit, but not a killing....If you're here to make a
killing, you're in
> the wrong place--we're here as friends with mutual
interests, not

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH