Line voltage

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Tue Apr 6 00:58:06 EDT 1999

Hi Murray;
See my post to Mike Hardie. My understanding is that we started out at
100 VDC, a nice round number, probably set by Edison when he installed
the world's first street lights. It soon became apparent that a higher
voltage (and hence a lower current ) was desirable for cost of wire,
weight, bulk, etc. Ever since then the power companies have been slowly
raising it to cut distribution costs, weight on poles, size if conduit,
etc. I recently inspected a home under construction in Germany where 220
VAC is the standard, and it looked like the whole house was wired with
bell wire. Thanks.
Regards,
Ed Richards

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov