I found a treasure

James D. Mayfield kb9bnr at REVEALED.NET
Sun Apr 11 19:37:19 EDT 1999

I was getting ready for this TV News program about the Titanic that I am
going to be in this week. And my Daughter asked me, as she pointed to the
Bencher paddles on my more modern operating desk. Dad are you going to use
these on the News program. I told her no, I was not. That I had to use
something a bit closer to the time period. I pulled down my old J-38 key
and said I would most likely use this one, or perhaps another old key I
picked up at an estate sale a few months back. She asked to see it, so I
got it out. Then it struck me!!!! I also had picked up a bunch of old glass
jars full of parts and old odds and ends at this same estate sale. I
remembered seeing one jar that had what looked like the parts from an old
telegraph sounder. Then it further struck me, from the looks of the holes
and marks on the old wood bass that this old key was one, I thought that
this wood base was the bass for the sounder. Sure was! I found that jar of
parts, and have put it back together. Now I have a complete key and sounder
all original and in working order. A bit later tonight check this link, I
will upload a picture of it. It was mad by J.H Bunnell & Co. New York. Any
one with any info on this I would be interested in hearing about it, like
age and so on....

http://home.revealed.net/qste/bnr/bunnell.jpg

73 Dave

Dave Mayfield KB9BNR