Titanic

James D. Mayfield kb9bnr at REVEALED.NET
Mon Apr 12 21:50:04 EDT 1999

Jack your information is very incorrect, at 12:45 am the Titanic called her
sister ship the Olympic. The message sent by the Titanic was and I quote
"cqd cqd sos sos cqd de mgy mgy" this information is more than well
documented. In fact 2nd radio officer Bride jokingly suggests to Jack
Phillips that it may be his last chance to use the new distress call).

Here is one of many web sites that contian a transcript of all radio
traffic that night.

http://www.netinfo.com.au/anars/

At 08:40 PM 4/12/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Dave et al
>
>On the subject of the Titanic distress call, it wasn't SOS as we know today
>but QCD.
>SOS didn't come into use until after the Titanic sinking and a Board of
>Inquiry was conducted. The original QCD, some historians believe, stood for
>"Come Quick Disaster".
>Bobbi, did the author of the book you quote further identify the Olympia?
>Another mistake some make is confusing White Star liners with Cunard liners.
>All White Star liners ended their names in ic. While Cunard used ia. The
>three ships in the Titanic class, of which she was number two, were Olympic,
>Titanic and Britanic. Only the Olympic survived into the 1930s. Titanic we
>know about. But the Britanic was sunk in the Mediterranean in WW 1 by a
mine.
>I've heard Ballard is searching for it now.
>The Olympic's only claim to fame is it ran down the Nantucket Lightship one
>night at great loss of life to the lightship crew.
>
>Jack

Dave Mayfield KB9BNR
Personal Web Page
http://home.revealed.net/qste/bnr/index.html