Buy a NEW Heathkit now

Larry Knapp Lawrence_P_Knapp at EMAIL.WHIRLPOOL.COM
Fri Apr 16 16:52:25 EDT 1999

     To the list - Many thanks to Randy, K8TMK, who is keeping us up to
     date on a product (an electronic kit), that "might" be of interest to
     the multitude.  It may not be "Hi-Tech" nor "something we could use".
     However, to purchase perhaps one of the last ever Heathkits is for
     many of us too good an opportunity to pass up.  Bravo to Heathkit Co.
     and Randy.

     It is with many mixed emotions that I contemplate purchasing the
     GR-1009 that Randy described.  I have read and thought about all the
     replies to the original reflector message.  It appears that perhaps
     too many of us are first thinking with our hearts and not our heads.
     Thinking with your heart says the Heathkit Co. (notice that it's not
     The Heath Co. anymore) can produce all the prior models, at the same
     cost, and at the same price.  Thinking with your head says, perhaps we
     can persuade them to begin small and work up.  We forget that the way
     Howard Anthony started the kit business, as we know it, was to
     purchase lots of government surplus parts, put those together into a
     box so we could purchase a scope or vtvm or whatever.  No tv's or
     massive audio products nor kw amplifiers were first.  A new journey
     starts with another first step.  This is (or maybe) a "new" journey.
     Heathkit Co. needs encouragement.  Lets don't tear it down just cause
     they have a AM radio kit that "perhaps" we might want.  If you don't
     want it just delete the message; the neat thing about radio or tv or
     even the internet is that it has an "on/off" switch; also you are not
     obligated.  But first think about this from a business perspective.
     "If" it (Heathkit producing kits like before) were to come back, it
     would have to be slow and it would have to show a profit.  Most
     likely, a SB-102 for $399.95 or $599.95 would not be economically
     practical.  The "power" of purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and
     all the other areas that go into the kit business would have to be
     built up.  They just do not exist for Heathkit now.

     Heathkit may never ever be the great company it once was.  On the
     other hand, even Michael Jordan came out of retirement once!  Let's
     give encouraging words or none at all.

     Larry (KC8JX)
     One of the x-hams at Heath

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov