Will a real copyright lawyer stand up?

Robert A. Taylor rat1932 at TWCNY.RR.COM
Tue Apr 20 02:53:07 EDT 1999

I have seen 88's and 73's attached to the end of a message, but =
what number do we use for signing off when we call someone a "pain in =
the ass"?  I can't recall that number, can you?

Pick up any book and their copyright law will be spelled out right behind =
the cover:
1. Symantec says; No part of this publication may be copied without the =
express written permission of Symantec Corp, ...
2.  Microsoft says; No part of this documentation may be reproduced in =
any means, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, except as expressed ... =
3.  There is written material whose copyright law permits copying portions =
for class room work, etc.  But all insist you add a paragraph recognizing their =
rights under the law to every copy made.
Now we must ask ourselves, what part of "No part" are we having trouble =
with?
 I just looked at my Heath SB-300 manual.  WOW!  No copyright =
statement there!  Not even a logo trademark statement!!  I guess in the =
'60s Heath didn't realize what a gold mine the instructions for building =
their kits were.  They thought the money was in the kits!!  No wonder =
they went out of business.  They bet on the wrong horse!!

When did Heath copyright my SB-300 manual so I could not make =
anyone a copy? I did not buy a copyright protected manual.  I did not =
even buy a copyright or trademark protected kit.  When I opened the =
box and accepted the kit, it was all mine.  I could modify the design and =
publish my modifications.  It would be nice if someone who still works at =
Heath would post Heath's legal rights to items they felt they wanted no =
rights to when they published and sold us all our kits with manuals?  Can =
they close the gate after the old horse has long since past through?

Robert A. Taylor, W2CNB
rat1932 at twcny.rr.com