GC1000 Bidding update

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Tue Apr 20 11:20:16 EDT 1999

Barry and all,

I suspect that if, or when, the year is added to the WWV data string, it
will be done using previously unused bits so that current products should't
be affected, like when the second daylight savings bit was added about ten
years ago.

I'm pretty sure that the RS-232 chip and the clock chip are identical in the
GC-1000. (If Wayne still reads the mail here, maybe he'll reply.) Not that
it makes much difference if we can't read the uPs. I remember hearing that
Heath paid thousands of dollars for a piece of equipment to read and verify
3870s, and it wasn't made by Fairchild or Mostek. If we could read one, I
still have a handful of prototyping 3870s that take e-proms on their backs.

The GCW-1001 "Most Accurate Clock II" clock that I designed (with a 8051)
does have a simulator built in, and I could revise the code to add the year
bits when we find out the particulars, so that GC-1000s could be tested for
compatibility. But if it doesn't happen until next year, the GC-1000 owners
will have already found out whether there's a problem.

Terry
-----Original Message-----
From: Barry A. Watzman <Watzman at ibm.net>
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>; 'Terry Perdue'
<terryp at HALCYON.COM>
Date: Monday, April 19, 1999 9:21 PM
Subject: RE: GC1000 Bidding update

>The GC-1000 clearly has the potential to succumb to the Y2K bug.  Without
the source code for the F8, it's impossible to predict what will happen when
the WWV signal begins transmitting a date in the next century.  The only
other option would be a "WWV signal simulator", and I am not aware that such
a beast exists.

>My hope is that the time display will continue to function correctly.
>
>Terry, my recollection is that the RS-232 F8 contained only the RS-232 code
and that the original F8 still did the clock.  Wayne Wilson, who was more
intimately involved with the GC-1000 [he was the architect, product manager
and is named in the patents, but he did not write the code] is with Tandy in
Fort Worth, perhaps he would know.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH