Surface Mount Components in Kits

Bob N5NJ n5nj at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 22 13:00:19 EDT 1999

I've been out of the electronics production business
since before SMT became prevalent over what I'll call
"standard" components with leads.

Has the cost of components with leads shot up ?  I see
Radio Shack still sells a great assorment pack with most
standard values at a very reasonable price.

I think that kits using components with leads would be
acceptable to most folks.  In fact, I just built a
digital readout kit for my hollow state receiver and it
used components with leads as well as IC sockets and so
forth.

Why couldn't kits be produced with old-time standard
components ?  Even if they didn't supply the standard
value resistors, it would be great fun to hunt down all
the parts to build these things.

Come on Heath !!

73,
Bob