Building Kits Growing Up As A Kid And Now As An Adult

Harvey A. Kader optom at IBM.NET
Thu Apr 22 19:42:53 EDT 1999

A member of this reflector waxed nostalgically about building kits as a
kid.

My first Heathkit was a SW-717 AM/Shortwave receiver. I still have it. I
literally had to beg my father to buy it for me. It was bought in the
early 70's for I believe 75.00
Canadian. That was a lot of money in those days. Come to think of it,
today it still is alot of money.

The irony is as a child and young adult I could not afford to buy most
of these great kits, even with a newspaper route, and neither could my
parents. Now as an adult, I have some money available to buy kits, but
Heathkits are no longer around to build. How ironic!

At least I should count myself lucky that I was able to build a small
number of Heathkits.

Now as an adult I could buy Heathkits already built by someone else, but
it just isn't the same thing.

Anybody else have stories about how they got into building Heathkits?

Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH