SB-201 & TS-440S

Jordan Arndt jordana at NUCLEUS.COM
Sun Aug 1 00:16:43 EDT 1999

Stewart Lyon wrote:

> There are are two cautions regarding interconnections between the TS-440
> and the SB-200/1.  Both the keying line and the AGC circuits were
> designed for tube-type rigs and will over-stress the associated circuits
> in the TS-440.
>
>  A very good and cheap solution for the keying is offered by Harbach
> Electronics in his SK200 "SoftKey" circuit.  He uses a clever hookup of
> an optocoupler that requires about 1mA at 1 Volt through the TS-440
> keying circuit.  The circuit costs all of $14 and works very well on both
> solidstate and tube rigs. See Allen's full catalog at:
> http://www.harbach.com
> If you do install SoftKey, I would recommend using two stacked 3M
> mounting pads to mount the PCB rather that drilling a mounting hole as
> instructed.
>
> The now defunct "Heathkit Technical Journal", April '98 discussed the AGC
> problem and suggested installing a 5K thumbwheel pot across the SB-200
> AGC line. The top of the pot goes to the -200 AGC line, the bottom to gnd
> and the wiper out the AGC jack to the TS-440 AGC input. The method of
> adjustment is to tune for full power on CW with the AGC _disconnected_
> then adjust the pot for -8 volts (max).  The AGC line is then connected
> to the TS-440.  The 4.7K resistor in the AGC line is shorted out or
> removed. The only problem with this mod is that the amp now does not
> supply enough AGC to a SB-100 or -400.  -- it's now only suitable for
> solidstate rigs.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 73, Stu - W6CUX
> Winnetka, CA
> ARRL Life Member
>
> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 07:21:49 -0400 Gary Franklin <franklin at NET-LINK.NET>
> writes:
> >Anyone familiar with the interconnections required to use the SB-201
> >with a Kenwood TS-440S?  Any cautions?
> >
> >Gary  K8BKB
> >

> Sponsored by the City of Tempe
>
> Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov

I use a Homebrew ckt from the Handbook to key my SB-220 from my
TS-450... the TS-440 and the TS-450 WILL handle the Heath PTT line
directly, but I had an IC-745 also at one time, and I used the 8v or 12v
DC on TX line to drive a transistor which keyed a 12Vdc P&B Relay...
Also I have an LED on the front panel of the interface box that is
marked Active/Stand-by, so I can tell if the PTT line to the amp is
active... it does require a 12Vdc feed from the PS-53 into the interface
box, but it works very well and is quiet.. although I can't say that the
relay in the SB-220 is quiet... hope this helps... 73 de Jordan...

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov