HOW TO REPAIR AN ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT

Marty marty-k2 at SNET.NET
Fri Aug 6 11:24:57 EDT 1999

I was cleaning out my files and thought that someone might find this of
use.  Not sure where it came from.

                  ------------------//---------------------

HOW TO REPAIR AN ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT

1. Approach the ailing device in a confident manner. This will give the
instrument the idea that you may know something.  This will also impress
anyone who happens to be looking, and should the instrument should
suddenly start working, you will be credited with its repair.  If this
step fails to work, proceed to step two.

2. Wave the schematic at the instrument.  This will make the instrument
assume that you are at least somewhat familiar with the sources of
knowledge.  Should this step fail to work, proceed to step three.

3. In a forcible manner, recite Ohm's Law to the instrument. (Before
taking this step, refer to some reliable handbook and be sure you know
Ohm's Law.)  This will prove to the instrument beyond a shadow of a
doubt that you do know something.  This is a drastic step and should be
attempted only after the first two steps fail.

4. Jar the instrument slightly.  This may require anything from a three
to six foot drop, preferably on a concrete floor.  However, you must be
careful with this step because while jarring is an approved method of
repair, we must not mar the floor. If this step fails, there is nothing
to do but to proceed to step five.

5. Add a resistor and capacitor.  This may convince the instrument that
you are familiar with instrument repair.  Also, it will give the
instrument an added load to carry and will thereby increase your
advantage.  Should these five steps fail to work, you must proceed to
the most drastic step of all, one which is seldom used except as a final
resort.

.
.
.