Re; Manuals in PDF Format

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Mon Aug 9 18:50:20 EDT 1999

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that pdf format was generated by
a replacement printer driver (Adobe markets that product as the
"Adobe Distiller" - an interesting name for it... has a certain
"homebrew ring to it...) that lives in your system and is selected
just before you print a file.  This allows any application on your
system to generate .pdf files - a word processor, spreadsheet,
schematic capture program, database query, whatever.
This is why the .pdf files look so good - THEY AREN'T SCANS - they're
originals.

So doing this would require having the original Heath manual text
and images on disk somewhere...  If somebody wants to take a Heath
manual and scan every image (and use photoshop on the scan to
threshold the B&W to 4 shades of grey to hold the GIF image size
down), and either type in or OCR-and-manually-proofread every
page of text, then I suppose it could be done...

I'd want Heath's written permission before I got started just to
keep my legal ass covered...

It would make an interesting CD (or CD set), however.  I'd buy one...
especially if it had the CR-1 crystal set (my manual is falling apart),
IM-11 VTVM (ditto), GR-371MX color TV set (do I have the only one?
_Nobody_ seems to have a manual for it...), GD-39 ultrasonic alarm,
AJ-1515 AM/FM tuner, and the CH-1068 windshield wiper delay unit.
I forget the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner model number - I'd love to
find one of those and the manual for it...

Mike WA6ILQ
My heath wants page: http://www.cogent.net/~morris/heath.htm

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov