Moderate the List!

Stewart Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Tue Aug 10 03:03:17 EDT 1999

My vote re a moderator is NO. I don't think censorship is the answer. We
occasionally have a flair up like today's and, although I somehow missed
what was going on, the language used was not unlike that around a high
school -- in my part of the world anyway. So don't worry about the kids.
The harm done by that dissertation was far less than would be done by
passing everything through a filter whose characteristics are unknown.
(Harvey, do you allow misspelled words??)

The threat of a 30/06 (or whatever) worries me a lot more. Now there is a
sick mind.

I think Dave has the right approach -- "Throw the bums out."

73, Stu W6CUX

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:32:41 -0700 "Harvey A. Kader" <optom at IBM.NET>
writes:
>Gentleman!:
>
>I think it is time for the list administrators seriously consider
>making
>this list a MODERATED list. This means people on the list can
>volunteer
>to moderate the list(we only need one person at a time). Moderate the
>list means all messages to the list are first read by a volunteer who
>then decides either to 1)send it to the rest of the list, 2)delete it
>in
>its entirety, or 3) modify portions of the list by deleting certain
>elements.
>
>Call it moderation, call it censureship, call it what you want, but it
>is the only way to stop 100% anything undesirable from reaching our
>eyes. I operate a list currently, and I moderate it. This technique
>ensures a clean running list.
>
>Le's have a vote on this. Of the 700 or so members how many want
>moderation as a means of cleaning up and keeping this list clean?
>
>Think about it. Moderation would solve our problems 100% - no more
>garbage to read. Sounds good!
>
>Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov