pot cleaning

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Mon Dec 13 10:43:41 EST 1999

At 09:30 AM 1999-12-13 -0500, Bill Hopkins wrote:
>Incidentally folks,
>
>we know that no one uses WD-40 on things like this, obviously.  But for
the record, my
>daughter, who works as a chemical engineer for Proctor and Gamble tells me
they try to
>avoid that stuff like the plague.  According to her, it is one of the most
toxic
>substances in the workplace.  They use it only "under duress", which means
that they could
>probably do without it.

Actually, WD-40 is my PREFERRED bug killer. I've noticed that wasps and
hornets keel over almost immediately after a shot of WD-40; in comparison,
a shot of Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer usually lets them keep kicking for
several minutes.

Interestingly, WD-40 doesn't seem to kill spiders nearly as quickly; big
garden types often are still kicking around some 30 seconds later.

I dunno which is more dangerous; I'd always preferred WD-40 compared to
Raid under the assumption it wasn't as toxic to humans. I see now, in
hindsight, that was a HORRIBLY incorrect assumption. Still, the stuff sure
does clean grease off of hands better than many other solvents!

Stuff for 60 minutes??

As for cleaning pots: I worked at a stereo repair shop for a year way back
when. I very rapidly learned NOT to ever use pot cleaner/lubricant on
sliding pots; it washes out the lubricant which causes the lever to stick
as you try to slide the lever around (called "stiction". It's OK for rotary
pots where the only rubbing contact is the wiper itself and the shaft
bearing; but plastic-bodied sliding pots have a spring contact against the
carbon track which forces the plastic lever against the plastic housing in
the front and causes friction after the factory grease has been washed out.
I never found a good cleaner for plastic sliding pots.

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov