reforming caps

Ken Ketner b9oky at TTACS.TTU.EDU
Tue Dec 14 16:41:14 EST 1999

Bruce and others:

Thanks for info about reforming caps. I have been able to find axial
caps of new manufacture of any voltage up to 450 wvdc through antique
electronic supply (I have no interest in the company) in Tempe AZ for a
buck or 2.
	I have a Sprague cap analyzer in my shop which has an eye tube and a
bridge for determining value, a voltmeter and an ammeter built in, as
well a provision for putting up to 600 volts (variable) onto a cap. One
can watch the meter and see what the leakage current is. When I clip a
lead on an el cap and slap the Sprague on it, I find that no matter how
long I keep the voltage on most old caps, they still will come down to
leak around 3-10 milliamps, which is too much it seems to me. A cap will
settle down after 3 or 4 minutes on voltage, but almost never at an
acceptable leakage value. SO I have always thought that clipping in a
recently manufactured one from Antique el sp is the way to go. That
means I won’t have top be back in that particular chassis for some time.
I also routinely clip in interstage caps for the same reason. Am I
missing some part of the forming procedure? Does one have to leave them
on voltage for a week or a day or something?
	On can caps, Antique offeres new manufacture on those too, but they are
20-30 dollars. So I get a tie strip, fix it to a bare spot on the
chassis, and using new axial lead caps, rewire the can leads. Same
effect for half or third of the money. And if one wants the can to stay
there for esthetic reasons, that is fine.
	We inquiring minds want to know

Many thanks
--
Ken Ketner, KA5ELD