RG-62/u Cable and Cap Sources

Bob Carner rscarner at VT.EDU
Wed Dec 15 16:23:58 EST 1999

        I would have to agree with Steve but I was trying to be 'nice' to them.
        Digikey is a reaonably good source, I used them quite a bit here at work as well as Newark. I have confronted Newark on several occassions in regards to the published price and the 'phone' price. If you haggle with them (and if the order is large enough or you're a regular volume-type customer) they'll keep the price as quoted in their catalog.
        As far as availability, guess I've just been lucky ...
        Happy Holidays
        Bob C.

At 06:28 PM 12/15/99 +0000, you wrote:
>At 12:14 PM 1999-12-15 -0500, Bob Carner wrote:
>>        I'm surprised that no one out there deals with Newark Electronics.
>
>I have, both personally and at work.
>
>> They stock an incredible amount of stuff.
>
>That's true. They even have high-voltage feedthrough caps like the ones in
>all the final cages of Heaths :o)))))
>
>>They're a little higher priced, but at least they have what you need.
>
>Actually, for some items, they're a bit CHEAPER than DigiKey or Mouser. But
>for general run-of-the-mill things, they're usually higher than anybody
>else, even my local store. And no, they do NOT always have what's in the
>catalog. It wasn't unusual for us to hear that delivery wouldn't be for a
>month or 6 weeks; that CAN'T be "off the shelf". They have also made
>serious mistakes such as assigning their own part numbers to several items.
>For example:
>
>We used to buy the Power One MAP-4000 switching power supply by the gross;
>nobody else had it in stock for immediate shipment. But we'd have to make
>certain that our own Purchase Agent actually described the item by the
>Power One part number because Newark also assigned their own part number
>for the MAP-4000, whatever it was, to a very expensive GE high-current
>contactor. Three different times over two years, we received a gross of the
>contactors instead of the power supplies. The first two times, Newark's
>billing department didn't catch the problem even after we'd finally
>received the correct power supplies several weeks later, and we continued
>to get bills for the already-returned contactors for several weeks AFTER
>the bills for the correct power supplies; the contactors were several
>hundred bux more than the supplies so it was a big deal to our accounting
>girl. An unusual situation; but I did run across still another part whose
>Newark P/N was doubly-assigned, too.
>
>>Their catalog prices NEVER match what the price is when you call! But
>their catalog is >just under 1500 pages!
>
>I don't remember ever paying anything EXCEPT the catalog price, unless they
>increased the price due to supplier price increases.
>
>Recently, on a Monday morning, I ordered a Weller soldering iron heating
>element. They said it was in stock and would ship via UPS Ground COD, I
>should have it by Thursday. Come Thursday.. zilch. Friday: zilch. Monday..
>Tuesday.. Wednesday... finally I call them again on Thursday when I receive
>a letter thanking me for my first personal order to Newark; they'd
>obviously logged the order instead of round-filing it as I feared. "Oh yes,
>here's your order right here. Yes, it will ship tomorrow from our warehouse
>in Raleigh, North Carolina. Thank you for calling Newark!".
>
>Goes by the rest of that week. Then Monday: zilch. Tuesday...sameo.
>Wednesday, I'm getting a little peeved. "Oh yes, there was a hangup at the
>warehouse; it will ship today, you should have it by Friday. Thank you for
> [...]
Bob Carner, EE, SysAdmin, and Network Liason
Brooks Forest Products Center
Department of Wood Science and Forest Products
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
rscarner at vt.edu (work)
rscarner at usit.net (home)

540 231-7453 (office)
540 231-8868 (fax)