Heathkit TX-1

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Dec 20 16:50:55 EST 1999

Ken,
The Apache is a fine rig... I have one that is the "appliance rig" of my
Boatanchor stable. It works well, is durable and is a fine candidate
to fix up. Though some have labeled it "scratchy apache" it's no different
than most other rigs of the era in it's audio... which was tailored to
pass the restrictive "communications quality" audio bandwitdh.
Neat rigs...I have mine paired with one of my Mohawks and they
both work well.
The dial drum is fragile and the antibacklash gearing rather involved
but again, no more weird than others of the era.
Best
John
wb5oau/4

Best 73
John

At 01:50 PM 12/20/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings, rosin core afficionados:
>        I have acquired an Apache TX-1 that is is good condition, would
make a
>good restoration project. My question is whether it is worth it. Are
>these good rigs? Is the receiver for them findable? I have heard that
>the dial mechanism is a Rube Goldberg.

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov