Social life of capacitors

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Fri Dec 24 10:17:20 EST 1999

Greetings, reformers of the social life of large capacitors:
        I found my Sprague TO-6 Tel-Ohmike capacitor analyzer operator‘s manual
(I have a TO-5, but the manual is very close, and will be close for
similar Spragues). I will be happy to send a copy to those who need it.
One gent asked for a copy; others may be interested. Actually, all those
who want one should send a letter size manila clasp envelop with 99 cent
(four ounces) postage on it, and your address on the envelope of course.
(International addresses will need to compute international 4 oz rate
postage.) Send to me at: Ken Ketner, Main Library Building, Texas Tech
University, Lubbock, TX 79409-0002.
        Not only is this a manual for the analyzer, it is a dissertation on
capacitors. It has a nifty section on leakage in electrolytic caps. It
gives a formula for maximum leakage current:

I = kC + 0.3

Where I is leakage in mills, C is nominal capacity in mf, and k is a
constant as follows

k                       Working Volts DC
.01                   3-100
.02                   101-250
.025          251-350
.04                   351-500

It adds, “Readings should be taken 5 minutes after caps are placed on
rated WVDC. Caps with a leakage current of more than 15 ma should almost
always be discarded.”

        Then there is a table, which I summarize for voltages common among the
rosin smoke fraternity:

251-350 WVDC, max leakage allowed ranges from .3 ma for 4 mf to 1.05 ms
for 30 mf, to 2.3 ms for 80 mf, to 3.3 ma for 120 mf, 4.05 ma for 150
mf, 5.3 ma for 200 mf.

        The manual ends with the company motto:

                DON’T BE VAGUE! INSIST ON SPRAGUE

salutations,