"SB"-Series AM Filter...

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Thu Dec 30 19:14:39 EST 1999

I've been unsuccessfull as well. The one thing remaining for me to try is a
filter converter such as described in an old HR radio article for the R-4C.
You get an AM filter for some other IF frequency and convert the exixting IF
to it such that the filter does its thing. Then you up convert again back to
the original IF. It uses one xtal oscillator. Biggest problem would be
leakage. Fortunately, I found the SB-310 AM filter last summer and it's
awsome.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Edward Swynar VE3 CUI
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 1:27 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: "SB"-Series AM Filter...

Greetings Fellow Heathniks...

I would dearly LOVE to hear from ANYONE who has ever successfully *BUILT* a
  broad-banded AM phone crystal i.f. filter for an SB-301/300 receiver...

My latest effort here has, alas, ended in failure yet again: I attempted to
homebrew a 2-crystal band-pass lattice type, utilizing appropriately spaced
crystals purchased just for this project, and an i.f. transformer robbed
from the remains of an old SB-102...

It was the usual result for me---beautiful hi-fi AM, but absolutely NO
skirt selectivity! (in other words, strong AM signals COVERED have the
band!).

This is most frustrating, to say the least. I thing the "stock" Heath AM
filter is far, far too narrow to complement this mode: someone once said
that the AM filter in the SWL-tailored SB-310 is broader by design...but
rare as as hen's teeth!

Is there ANYONE who has met this challenge head-on & won...?! What's the
secret...?! Does the Fox-Tango group in Florida sell AM i.f. filters for
the Heath series...? (I bought a SUPER 250-Hz c.w. filter from them them,
but that was years ago---don't even know if they're still around anymore).

Any & all feedback appreciated--many thanks!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov
'name' 'call'"