Restructuring

talen talen at INETPORT.COM
Fri Dec 31 18:14:34 EST 1999

This thread will continue for a while and is very applicable.

Like I said before, this is a GOOD THING and I'm very pleased
with the FCC's decision (just got through downloading the
Extra (part 4B) questions from the http://www.arrl.org site).

Novices:
Leaving the band allocations for novices is great because they
(existing licenses) are not affected (avoid potential dollar impact of
frequency changes) nor is their license upgraded so there is no
technical "freebie".

Novices and New Hams:
Novices and others may now be better motivated to study and
upgrade or get a license because it's technical knowledge which is
the key, not a code speed skill. They know this will open up many
more HF frequencies for them where, in all liklihood, they won't be
using the code skill anyway.

Technical Requirements:
Technical knowledge requirements for the remaining classes of
licenses were not compromised in any manner as I read it. No
technical "freebies"

Code Requirements:
It's also excellent to LEAVE a code requirement, even at 5wpm.
Those who like/use CW (and I personally intend to put an ARC-5
T-19 with J-38 on the air sometime this year) can improve their skills
and go 20wpm+. The net is that in a REAL emergency every amateur
ought to be able to tap two wires together and get a message
through regardless of speed and the FCC kept that capability with
the continued 5wpm requirement. Also, CW is part of the "amateur
radio heritage".

I think the net will be "increasing our ranks" and that helps everyone.

As far as which guy is the "REAL AMATEUR"......I think it's not the
guy who copies 30+wpm, or the the guy who has more gold stars
on his DXCC certificate, or the guy who has the tallest tower, or the
most Collins gear.....it's the radio amateur who gives back to the
hobby by actively participating in club events and gets involved
helping and and educating others.

....I'll get off my soapbox now..

Happy New Year

73s  Kees K5BCQ