Chinese and Russian Tubes

Harvey A. Kader optom at IBM.NET
Tue Feb 2 03:12:43 EST 1999

Hello keepers of the green.

Reports of problems with Chinese and Russian tubes have been said to

surface, but I have had no difficulties with these tubes. I have over

3,000 hours on Chinese 6GH8 tubes, and East German(aka Russian) EL34.

These tubes run perfectly and sound great.

I think people have to understand that the Chinese tubes are built in a

plant that was set up by a major electronics Japanese firm, and is
currently owned by a

major Korean electronics company. These people know what they are doing
- they know how

to build electronics.

The Russian tube industry grew out of the military. It was set up that

in the event of a nuclear blast, the Russian equipment would survive -

smart!! The Russian tube industry and the Eastern European tube

companies have a long history. They too know what they are doing.

I still admire the New Old Stock(NOS) American, British, and German tube

industry, and collect, buy, and sell these absolutely fantastic tubes.
These tubes last

forever, and sound the best.

But, the present day Chinese and Russian tubes are working OK in my
experience. They

represent a good economical alternative to the more expensive and more

rare NOS tubes.

I would be interested in everyone's experiences with Chinese, Russian,

and Eastern Europe tubes, and how they compare to NOS tubes both in
terms of longevity,

reliablity, and sound.

Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov