Email failure

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Sat Feb 20 21:54:21 EST 1999

At 06:32 PM 2/20/99 +0000, Ed Richards wrote:
>Will Phillip who offered me a monobander & PS please send me your phone
>number. I cannot get through on Email. "Domain Banned", whatever that
>means. Thanks.

It means that his ISP has banned all messages coming from JUNO, most likely
due to known spam from that domain. This is one way that our ISPs attempt
to fight spam; unfortunately, however, most spammers now use sophisticated
programs that completely cover their e-mail tracks and it's virtually
impossible to track them down easily. If your ISP were small, you could try
appealing to your ISP to relax the ban (at the expense of increased spam).

One thing you can try is getting one of those free e-mail accounts at
qsl.net. All that those accounts do is to redirect e-mail sent to you c/o
qsl.net to your chosen "home" account at Juno. Doesn't cost you anything
and gives you an alternative e-mail address, one that's unlikely to be
banned by anyone.

There is a web site somewhere that tells you the nature of such "bans"
given the particulars of the sender; but I didn't record the URL.

73, Steve Ko0U/1

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH