High volt. cap ?

Don bjmcpher at USIT.NET
Mon Feb 22 16:03:52 EST 1999

Thanks, Carl and all the others who gave me advice on these. I guess
they were just bad news when they were new. Now I have 3 places to buy
new caps from that will probably do fine service.

Not long ago, someone posted that heath never ever used anything
substandard, and only used the finest components..etc...etc. I replied
to him with a list of things that I had found to be worthless, but I
didnt think about these damn capacitors. I'm sure they are truly rubbish
and were so over the several decades they were used. I'm just glad to
find some sources for real caps to replace them. Thanks, guys!

Still, I wonder what these things are. Are they electrolytic? They have
bands, but no + marks, so I assumed they are not electrolytic, and the
band is just indication of the outside foil for ground shielding
purposes. What is the juice that always seems to be on them? Is the
company that made them still in bussiness and making the same crap? What
kind of oil is in them? maybe pcb? what are the plates made of?

Dont knock yourselves out, but I am just curious what these are and how
heath ever came to use them. I havent seen them in anything else, though
one person said collins and others used them. I have lots of old collins
equip  and none of it has these "black beauties" in them. Seems like
they appear in anything heath ever made that used more than a few
hundred volts.

Don

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov