Type of tube in SB-301 LMO?

Stewart Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Sat Jan 9 22:44:59 EST 1999

Hi gang,
I checked four LMOs from various vintages that I have and they used
either a 6BZ6 or 6CB6. These tubes are pinned out the same and their
other characteristics are similar so it probably wouldn't matter which
one you used. They have the "7CM" base.  The 6AU6 is based "7BK" which is
differant in that the supp. grid and the cathode are switched. You can't
sub one type for the other unless the cathode and suppressor are tied
together in the wiring ( which RCA recommends even though it's never
done).

To figure out which tube your LMO is wired for, I recommend that you
measure the resistance to ground of pins 7 and 2. If 7 is zero and 2 is
around 50 ohms, then its a 7CM (6BZ6,etc).  If 2 is zero and 7 at 50 ohms
then it's a 7BK -- 6AU6.

Eddy -- maybe that's why your LMO is so drifty!! You might have the wrong
tube in there.

Bob -- good luck on getting your license and please let us know here when
it happens so we all can give you a "welcome aboard".

73, Stu -- W6CUX.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH