Heath Warrior question

Sheldon Darack shel at LUCENT.COM
Mon Jan 11 16:58:04 EST 1999

I would appreciate hearing from any experienced Warrior users.  I have one
that works poorly on 40 meters.  When I got it (quite a few years ago),
it's original coil had been replaced by one that is wound on a ceramic
form.  It was "as is" and I was warned that the repair was not completely
successful.
That said, I found it worked well on most bands, but on 40 the output was
low - about 350 watts.  80 and 20 seem normal, over 500 watts. (I may have
a low reading power meter).  Ten and 15 have less output which is expected.
 The loading capacitor is at minimum for best output on 80 and 40 and I
think that is normal for 80.  I used it on 80 occasionaly.
I made a couple of my own mods.  I replaced the 866 rectifiers with my own
best attempt at a solid state supply that puts about 1600 volts on the
tubes when loaded to just over 600 mA. Back then, diodes weren't so well
matched and I used lots of resistors and capacitors across them.
I also built in an idle cut off bias supply.
I stopped using it for too many years until a couple years ago I built in
an internal 12 vdc antenna relay that replaced my outboard 110vac Dow Keys.
It works well on 80 and 20 using the auto antenna tuner in my Kenwood
TS440.  One of the front panel switches turns on the tube heaters to place
it in standby and the other switch (either one!) turns on the High voltage
and allows the antenna relay to operate.
I'd like to solve the 40 meter problem.  I don't know the dimensions and
turns on the original coil and how much the ceramic affects it, if at all,
at 7 MHz.  Any problem there should be worse on 20.
The band switch adds one capacitor in the 40 meter position and keeps that
one in circuit plus adds a second one in the 80 meter position.  Since 80
works well, that seems to rule out the capacitors and everything else
(except coil turns) is the same on all bands.
Anyone able to share data or experience on this one?
Thanks,
Shel  WA2UBK

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov