From Wayne's paint shop

charles w. morehouse cwmorehouse at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Jul 5 13:10:41 EDT 1999

Heathkit Keepers,
Since so many have asked, have decided to put it all together. Here are
the Benjamin Moore (and others) paint numbers that we could find. Tom at
the local BM store has been very helpful. Keep in mind that these are
the closest standard colors that we could find. The BM paints come in
quarts
for about $12. You need a spray gun and I have had excellent results.

Apache,Mowhak,HO-10,13,SB-10 etc. dark green cases and bezels. Gloss
Base5 133 5A #602.

SB series light gray/green cases. Satin
Base5 235 2A #1565.

The deep gray test equipment front panel touch up. Gloss satin.
Base5 235 5A #1582 I use machinery gray from Sherwin Williams for the
cases.

Apache,Mowhak,HO-10,SB-10,etc front panels for touch up. Gloss.
Base2 133 2A, 12-OY, 12-BK, 2-TG, 24-WH. Specify for quarts.

For those interested. R390-A dark gray. Satin.
Base4 235 4A #1595.

Hint #1
For those gold pre-amp and other gold chassis, use gold lacquer and then
use a clear lacquer top coat. This will mellow out the color and prevent
finger prints. Use an ink set or press on's to letter and then coat with
more clear lacquer. Use silver lacquer for those rusted chassis then
coat with clear.

Hint #2
Bake all your projects in the oven on low temp. If wife don't like,
throw out. I did years ago.

Hint #3
On the SB cases, thin paint about 1/3 and use two light coats, backing
in between. If case is too bad, strip and repaint with black or gray
wrinkle
and use top coat of gray or green before wrinkle is completely dry.

Hint #4
Do you have a Heathkit beige test instrument with the rubbery case that
turned to goo after years? Strip off the goo to the metal. Then spray
with Krylon Suede textured #1241 BUCKSKIN. Looks great and is the
original color. Have redone all of mine.

Hint #5
For those really tired panels, send them to Lynn Brock.
<n0alo at southwind.net> Lynn does great work and has acquired the R&R
paint line. That's all I can think of now but if I come up with more
will post. Talk soon.
Wayne;
W4GBW

Sponsored by the City of Tempe