HW-8 main tuning cap help

Bill Hughes wd6ccs at JUNO.COM
Mon Jul 5 14:25:05 EDT 1999

Michael,

I had a similar problem with the main tuning VFO cap on my HW-8 and
posted a note here asking for help....It might be by request and replys
that you are thinking abt.

I followed the suggestion to use super glue.  I carefully put pressure on
the rotor plates to push them into their groves on the tuning shaft.  I
had to try this a number of times before I got them lined up to where
they looked like I thought they should.  Then I placed super glue on the
plates/shaft junctions trying to get glue on as much of the junction as I
could.  Got a little messy at times, since the spacing between some of
the plates was narrower than the super glue tip.....sort of had to
dribble the glue down the plate to the shaft then use a small screw drive
to spread it around.

It feels pretty solid now.  BUT, the tuning is abt 50KHz off from where I
should be.  Now my problem is that I can't find my manual to retune the
rig to where it should be.  Oh, well.

Good luck with you efforts to fix the cap.

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:36:41 EDT Michael Besemer <KG8L at AOL.COM> writes:
>Tonight I decided I'd tweak up the old HW-8, just to try to get the
>last
>couple of milliwatts out of it.  Unfortunately, when I turned it over
>remove the bottom cover I heard a clink, and upon investigation
>discovered
>that the rotor plates of the main tuning cap had fallen off.  I have a
>couple
>of ideas on how to reinstall them, but I seem to remember a similar
>discussion on the reflector several months ago, and I was wondering if
>anyone
>has any good experiences in repairing this stupid thing!  What really
>kills
>me is that I'm expecting to receive the 20 watt amp I ordered for the
>darn
>thing any day now...I'd like to have it up and running.  Help!  Any
>ideas
>will be welcome (or if anyone has an extra tuning cap you're willing
>to part
>with, I'd be interested in buying it)!
>
>Thanks to all in advance & 73,
>
>Mike
>KG8L

73,  Bill  WD6CCS

Bill Hughes,  WD6CCS  Thousand Oaks, CA
QRP-L #1190,  AK-QRP #241, ARS #308, NorCal #2379
Mail to:  wd6ccs at qsl.net

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov