How do you fix IM-17 Batteries Corrosion?

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Fri Jul 16 18:43:39 EDT 1999

At 06:41 PM 1999-07-16 -0400, Tom Bridgers wrote:
>    Now my questions which I hope you can help me with are:
>o  Assuming I should remove the greenish corrosion, what is the best method?

Water, soap and your old toothbrush (however, go buy a new one first!).

>o  Since 8.4 volt batteries are considerably more expensive than 9 volt
>batteries, what should I do to permit use of the lower cost (higher voltage)
>battery?

Simplicity itself, my dear Watson: install an ordinary silicon diode in
series with one of each battery lead. Measure the voltage dropped by the
diode and use more if needed (you might happen to have a bunch of Schottky
diodes instead, for example, which will have a drop of only about 0.3 volts).

But be aware that the voltage drop might vary depending upon the load
current; that is, whatever function the machine happens to be performing at
the moment. Check it out.

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov