Lead Free Solder

wa1vwl wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Tue Jun 1 19:57:49 EDT 1999

The nasty thing about soldering is, as you say, fumes from the flux.
There are other alternatives called "water-based" fluxes. They still
emit fumes but are less harmful. Some years back I was in the middle of
a project and got a nasty case of bronchitis. I always had some minor
difficulties with my "breathing apparatus" but this was serious. One of
the first questions the doctor asked me was if I did any soldering. I
said yes. That was all he needed to hear. Got reassigned to another
location and the problem went away. Coincidentally, around the same
time, QST carried an article on the subject. I'll have to dig it up.

73/Gerry/W1ID

Multi-Volti Devices wrote:

> I don't have any references to quote, but I read somewhere in the last 5-6
> years that one doesn't inhale lead when soldering, but rather the flux
> fumes. They are not something one wants to regularly inhale either, but the
> inference was that it's more of an irritant than a hazard. Of course, solder
> aid and flux chemistry has been changing (I was going to say "...in a state
> of flux") in the last 5 or more years, so I wouldn't generalize.
>
> I have also noted many more sources of fume control equipment, so perhaps it
> is less safe than it used to be considered.
>
> I saw a company that had built their own fume control system from pvc pipe
> and a centralized vacuum system...each bench had a pipe on a rotating swivel
> joint.
>
> I am thinking about trying something with a table fan and 'higher
> performance' disposable furnace filters...maybe electrostatic and/or carbon
> filters.
>
> Murray

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov