QSY HW-12 to 160

Michael Hopkins mnhopkins at JUNO.COM
Mon Jun 14 12:14:29 EDT 1999

There exists a formal written mod for taking an HW-12 to 160M from 80.  I
can look it up in my attic if anyone asks, but the gest fo it its:

1.  Load the VFO down to 500-700 kc from present 1500-1700 kc.

2.  Tune L2 to 1900 from 3900, ditto L3 on the RX side

3.   Load pi net to 160.

   True Believers always object to any mods being published.  I am a 6M
student and always get hate mail if I post the many mods of "Novice" TXs
like the DX-35 into double--in-the-final TVI monsters for 6M.  AT-1s are
especially often done as they were around when the Novice was not
renewable, but the Tech was.  There is a picture of one such in Penson's
book (see my next post) and I have several pieces of them in my attic.

  But I'll stand by the HW-12 mod as it may the best chance for
preservation.  The Monobanders, sespecially the no suffix models, are
joining 6M AM transceivers at the bottom of the market.  Many won't even
take them to a hamfest as the offers, if any, are considered insults. One
can buy one for the power supply, toss the rig and sell the p/s for a
profit.  Changing these rough old mobile vets to 160 just might keep them
alive.

de ab5L, michael in dallas, MNHopkins at JUNO.com
Student of Tecraft, ICM and Six Meters' Golden age: 1957-58
Box 226841, Dallas, TX  75222
credentials: Five years of HX-30/HA-20.

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov