Off-Subject Tempo-One

Rhonda & Ken Morton kdmorton at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Jun 14 22:51:06 EDT 1999

This is slightly off subject, but as I have come to appreciate the expertise
here, I am going to post it anyway.

First a public thank you to Bob Taylor and George Gleim for the help they
have given me so far. These GENTLEMEN are why I became a Ham.

I have a Tempo-One / Yaesu FT200. The radio HAS worked, but now seems to
have no audio. The AF pot was very dirty (noise while turning) and even had
what sounded like mechanical rubbing. Half of the SSB oscillator circuit
seems to be not working (the 8998.5kHz one).Part of this circuit is a 12AU7
double triode. I suspect one triode is dead.

Saturday I got a wild hair and cleaned all the knobs and front panel. I also
sprayed all pots and multi\pole switches with contact cleaner. There is a
second 12AU7(A) as part of the VOX relay control. Since I am not interested
in transmitting at this time (well, I AM, but I am not licensed to!) I
'borrowed' this tube for the SSB oscillator.

Well, I put it back together and - no volume. I can hear a LITTLE scratchy
with headphones when I turn the AF knob but that is it. My questions: could
I have 'killed' the pot with contact cleaner? I tried swapping the 12AU7's
back - no luck. I have NOT tested them yet (no tester). Any suggestions? I
have been able to hear SSB QSO's on this rig with nothing more than a (not
very) longwire strung out the patio door, and want to get it back to
operating.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
KD7FLE