Want to trade: Need freq counter....

Dave Ellison zommbee at IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu Jun 17 00:03:03 EDT 1999

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a test bench going, but I'm finding most of my
old gear is dead or dying, and I'm trying to get it going so I can
get other stuff going - it's a vicious circle!

So I figured I'd start with my frequency generating devices.  I
have a couple Heath generators of different flavors, all of which
are in various stages of death, and I need a counter to work on
them and get them calibrated.

I figured if I got a decent counter, I could get them going and
and work my way from there.

Well, the first counter I bought conks out very easily on all ranges.
I borrowed a counter and generator to 'cross check' it and it's
definitely the counter.  It's a Spectronics SC30.  I think it's just
not all that sensitive.  It seems to read my tank coil on transmit
just fine  with a sensing wire.  But it won't reliably read a signal
generator.

Then I got a Heath IB-1100 nixie readout counter whose display
drives me buggy to look at.  Thank goodness LED's got invented!
It seems to work alright, given it's age and display type. (see bottom
of this email for how to see a picture of it -closeups on request)

So I'm done goofing around but at the same time I'm lacking a lot
of bux for such things.

Does anyone have a GOOD WORKING SM-4100 or similar counter
with LED readout with a stable and reliable circuit that they aren't
using, and trade my two flaky counters plus maybe some bux?
I also have an EV 664 microphone (not mint by far) I could toss in.
I might be able to dig up some other trading items as well.

Sorry for the long post.  I'll bet someone on the Heath list has such
a beast laying around (doesn't have to be Heath - just known good
and working!).   Oh, btw, I can email photos of the two flaky counters
if interested.

Thanks to all,

Dave WB7AWK
http://www.boatanchors.com - go to 'Live Webcam' to see a current
image of my work bench.  The IB1100 is on and in the camera view
on the top shelf of the workbench, above my Drake rig and next to
the Heath test gear (looks great, but ALL of it is dead until I get
SOMETHING going to start a 'chain of repair')

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov