Wanted: Any Heathkit! (ok - not that simple... read on)

Dave zommbee at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Mar 12 14:35:08 EST 1999

Hello all,

I want to build a Heathkit!  The last one I did was back in 1975 when
my parents bought me a HW-7 as my first Novice rig (not the greatest
choice, no doubt!  I REALLY wanted a DX-60 and HR-10 BAD, but
Santa was not very radio wise and thought the HW-7 looked neater!).
Go to http://www.boatanchors.com/page14.html to see the photo of
that very HW-7 (still have it) and see my old novice shack, and other
radio photos.

I have an unbuilt GR-64, but I cannot bring myself to build it as it is
all in the box, only opened to see if it was all there.  Missing the
manual anyway.  (Anyone wanna buy it?  I don't collect unbuilt
kits.  All there but the book.  Email me if interested)

Soooo.... I am looking for a simple receiver of some flavor (Table radio,
GR-64 in most any shape, novice receiver, etc) that I will UNBUILD
first, then replace all the small parts with new, desolder the circuit
boards, unmount all the parts, and replace missing
hardware, knobs, etc.  Then when all the parts are matched up to
the parts list exactly, my little boy and daughter and I can build a
little bit on it every time they are over (just divorced, and looking for
fun projects on my weekends with the kids).  So any electrical
condition is fine as long as nothing is physically broken, and needs
to have a decent case, face, etc. and no major mods that involved added
holes or anything that can't be reversed.

I've wanted to do this for years, and just don't have any 'smaller' kits
that would be interesting for kids to help Dad with.  All my heath
gear is SB-xxx and 1950's antiques and is either too complex for
such a project or is point to point wired and would be very difficult.
And it's all intombed in storage until someday I can get a house
again to have radio room and all that.

A table radio (AM/FM or AM) or GR-64 would be GREAT, with an
edge for the GR-64.  Or an HR-1680. Something not overly complex, and not
overly
difficult to tear down and find replacement parts for.  And something
a couple little kids can help Dad insert parts, and hear it play when it's
finally all together.  No transmitters, or less interesting household
devices or computer stuff.  Gotta be fun for kids when it's done.
A shortwave radio would be ideal.

Cheap wouldn't hurt either :-)  Remember - doesn't have to work at all,
as long as the power transformer or other main or unique parts aren't
trashed.  Tube gear is just fine - that's about all I have in my collection
anyway.  But solid state is good too.

So what do you have?  I think my kids will really enjoy such a project,
especially on all those pouring down rainy days we'e getting here
in Washington.  Here's a bit about the kids:
http://www.boatanchors.com/page8.html (sorry - that proud daddy thing :-)

73 to all.  Take care.  Sorry for such a long email!

Dave Ellison WB7AWK
Tacoma, WA
http://www.boatanchors.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov