Drake 2T vs. Heathkit DX-??

myname myname at PRODIGY.NET
Mon May 3 19:20:48 EDT 1999

The hot set-up that blew every other novice rig out of the water sales-
wise back then was, of course, the HW-16 which had a CW note that was
distinctive enough to recognize after a couple weeks of of QSO's.  It
was the Chevy Impala of its day: it was affordable and it was
everywhere. The 2-NT was kind of an anachronism, like a Caddy Eldorado
for the learner's permit crowd, and priced like it.  Not a big seller.
Statistically it blew the HW-16 away.  Where the HW will put 90 watts in
and get 40 watts out on 15, the 2-NT puts in 100 and gets 75 out.  Plus
it had a low-pass filter which is nice.  The HW's QSK is slicker, but
not adjustable for semi-QSK.  The 2-NT has five band coverage and can be
used with both grid-block and cathode-keyed VFO's (I use a Globe V-10
here). The side-tone volume is adjustable, the HW's could be a pain in
the neck.  On the receiving side, of course, the 2-C was superior,
though it lacked the HW's crystal filter.  The price was also relatively
painful.  I use both 2-C/2-NT setup and the HW here.  The actual
difference in operating pleasure between them is negligible, IMHO.  I
paid $75 for an excellent 2-NT last year, sold a decent one for $56
shipped.  The 2-C was about $100 without calibrator and blanker a couple
years ago.  Also nice is the matching 2-CQ speaker/Q-multiplier.
Doesn't do much but looks kind of cool :-)

Tom
n0jmy

"the beatings will continue until morale improves"

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH