Motor oil in Cantenna

WB2TBB ham at CYBERCOMM.NET
Fri May 21 11:10:43 EDT 1999

When I was in High School and built a cantenna, the price of a gallon of mineral oil was
more than the cantenna cost. Plus the embarassment factor. I had no idea where to get
transformer oil.
So, in went a gallon of straight 10 weight motor oil. I think the manual specifically states
not to do this.
Well, I don't tune up with a KW for anything approaching a minute. If it takes more than
5 seconds, something is wrong. Its been about 25 years, and the cantenna with the same
motor oil has been serving me fine ever since.
...Dave