PCBs/Transformers

wier@calcite.rocky.edu wier at CALCITE.ROCKY.EDU
Sat May 22 00:22:53 EDT 1999

>Hello:
>
>No PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls?) in use (in USA) since late 1970's. If
>this helps anyone date their old Cantenna contents...
>
>I got one from a Heath Co. Salvage sale when all was being cannibalized in
>BH. So who knows...

Also occasionally you'll see surplus BIG power transformers that came
from the power company used as HV transformers for amps (known
as "pole pigs"). You have to be VERY careful about PCBs in these - I
don't believe that the power companies were required to replace them
when PCBs were banned, but were to dispose of them as they reached
the end of their lifespan with non-PCB filled units. I suppose it
might still be possible to run across some PCB units, although now
since we are at 20 years beyond the fact they should be getting
scarce ...

73's de WB5KXH

              Bob Wier
     mailto:wier at calcite.rocky.edu