For Sale: Heath AR-3 receiver

The Boices boice at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat May 22 11:43:30 EDT 1999

I have a Heathkit AR-3 550kc - 30mc receiver for sale.   It wasn't built by
me (it's way older than I am), so I'm selling it "AS-IS."

No case, "open chassis."  Has all tubes and other parts (that I can see
obviously) including all knobs, dial tuning string and chassis-mounted
speaker.  The fine grooves on the knobs are a little dirty, but nothing a
toothbrush couldn't make short order of.  The 2 small light bulbs on the
front panel are there but apparently burnt out.  No labeling on any of the
controls (probably would have been on the optional case), but main
dial/faceplate is fine, considering it's 40+ years old.  I spliced in a
longer power cord with connector so I could plug it in, since the previous
connector had been cut off.  After a brief inspection for obvious shorts, I
did power it up - no smoke :-)  All the tubes with glass cases have glowing
filaments.  I listened to a few stations for a short while on one band (D -
10 to 30 "megacycles"), but the audio later cut out.  Frequency alignment
is unknown.  No manual or other documentation.  There is some faded
handwriting on the top near the inductor (?) adjustments.

One more thing to show how old this receiver is (it was discontinued about
a decade before I was even born) - it has 640 and 1240 kc marked as "Civil
Defense" frequencies.

Here's a shot of the rig: http://users.arn.net/~boice/images/ar-3.jpg

Price is $75 or best reasonable offer, with my right of refusal if the top
offer is too low.  Shipping is extra, but will only be the actual amount
(i.e. I'll get it safely boxed up and have the P.O., UPS or Fed-X weigh it
so I get a price before I actually send it out).  Insurance is buyer's
option and extra, tho I believe UPS includes $100 insurance in the shipping
fee.  Which shipper is the buyer's discretion.  I'll gladly wait the extra
day or so to allow the buyer to get a postal or bank money order instead of
a personal check.

Please reply direct and not to the list.

73

mike KW1ND

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov